Were you recently involved in a car accident? If you find yourself in this position, there are two things you need to do:
– Focus on your health and well being, as this is the most important thing in your life.
– Learn more about the steps you can take for collecting compensation, such as by making a car insurance claim.
On the surface, it sounds easy enough to make a claim with your car insurance company. However, as you learn more, you’ll find that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are some of the many things that you should never do:
– Don’t give a written or recorded statement until you understand exactly what is going on and what type of coverage you have.
– Don’t accept the first estimate offered by your car insurance company. Remember, they don’t want to do what’s best for you. They want to do what’s best for them.
– Don’t sign anything. You never want to put ink to paper until you know your situation, how much compensation you should receive, and the steps you can take to improve your situation.
– You don’t have to accept a check that is marked as “final payment.” You should only do this if you’re on board with taking the money and putting the process in the past.
Avoiding these car insurance claim mistakes comes down to this: knowing your situation, reviewing everything that has happened, and knowing your rights as a customer.
If you’re patient in reviewing your claim, you should be able to make informed decisions in the end. If you have questions, contact our New Orleans accident lawyers for help.